Sunday, October 17, 2010

Fabulous Flathead

One afternoon at Lammermoor beach in Yeppoon I decided I would trial a few new lures. The minnow type hard bodied lures had no success neither did any soft plastic. Before I decided to leave I changed over to a pink panther Tassie Devil lure. On the third cast off the rocks on the mangrove side of the beach I used a faster retrieve resulting in a nice little GT patrolling over the rocky bottom. Latter I hooked up on a rock cod that stuck to the bottom like a suction cup darting between rocks. I waded out to a rocky platform where I flicked the lure out in every direction.  I decided to work the lure across the bottom at a very slow speed next to the platform rock. In a flash a huge lizard drew it’s camouflaged head out of the sand and crunched down on the fluttering lure. The 60cm flathead was only 2 meters away from where I was standing but took me five minutes to land. From that moment on I have had great respect for my Tassie Devil lures and they are highly valued amongst my lure collection.

By Rhett Thorne (Friend & valued co-fisherman of Clayton)

5 comments:

  1. That is by far the best fish in the blog! How heavy was the line you caught it on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this post by the same person? if not what is his email adress i have a of couple questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ both anonymous's

    i belive the leader was not to heavy at all and it was caught on a pink tassie devil,

    and contact can be made at clay94_fishing@live.com.au

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do sebile make tassie devils? or something?

    ReplyDelete