Monday, November 1, 2010

A Trevally Of A Time

running sinker rig
I started to put a running sinker rig my home made 7 foot rod blank. The reel I had on it was a Penn accord 6000 size reel. The bait I was using on this rod was a whole pilchard, the pilchard was hooked through the eye and then several other times through its body so the rough surf wouldn’t rip it off. On my Rovex airstrike graphite bait caster and Rovex Oberon bc reel I had a 4 inch fluoro yellow curl tail grub on a 2 gram jig head. The place I was fishing was the Yeppoon side of Corio Bay up in the Byfield National Park. The 7 foot rod with the Penn reel kept getting big bites but the current kept dragging the bait out of the gutter so I walked around to the waterpark (fishing creek) and cast out the grub on my bait caster and by the end of a couple of casts in this strong current I got one decent sand flathead and one barely legal bream. The tide had reached its turning point so I quickly put out the 7 foot rod and Penn combo into action with the running rig and pilchard and got many bites then finally started landing some trevally. By that end of the time there were some nice trevally fillets. Make sure when you fillet trevally that you cut out all the red meat from the white meat because it’s not healthy for you.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try this... thank you for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats okay, glad to help and thanks for the great feedback

    ReplyDelete