Monday, October 22, 2012


The first few cast on this fine afternoon didn’t a single bite, casting into rocks, into the open, into the water flow, it was all useless. The plastic should have worked; it looked exactly like a herring everyone netted in the run throughs, a staple diet of these fish. I noticed some commotion in the water, fish taking baitfish close up to the rocks, not herring but little mullet, tiny mullet around 2inches long. These mullet were a shin brown in colour with a dull white belly, perfect, my new plastics from McArthy should do the trick, namely the 3inch finesse minnow in gold fish colour. The fact that these fish are around the rocks moved me to make up some weedless rigs for the plastics, now perfectly rigged I was throwing the plastic up into the water flow with a slow gentle retrieve full of little flicks.
The first fish was not a big fish, even for this small gear but no matter, it let me know my mind track was right and the colour, size and rig of the plastic is working. The next fish climbed on to the lure, perfectly hooking it in the side of the jaw, as it swam, I saw the silver flash, that’s when the heart got thumping, finally my target species, a bream.
Match the hatch, in this case the Gold fish colour by McArthy
 After a quick pic this fish was let go to live another day. After that commotion I really didn’t care what I caught, I was just ecstatic in the limited time I had I was able to land my target species, a few cod climbed on to the lures after that, some big, some small but one again a hooked nicely in the jaw, these weedless rigs a perfect for fishing heavy structure.
The Mcarthy finesse minnow pefectly pinned him in the jaw
 On first thought, in a tiny session to land that many fish in this extremely overfished area, these plastics truly must have matched the hatch for this day.

‘Fish light get the bite!’

Clayton

I got these plastics from:



1 comment:

  1. Hey mate great exaple of matching the hatch to the catch. Keen to wet a line on the holidays.

    ReplyDelete