Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Fishing Beats Shopping

After a stressful morning shopping I finally convinced my Dad to drop me down to the now deemed ‘not so secret spot’ at the woolwash but getting there by foot would be difficult after heavy rain, let alone getting there by car, So instead I went to ropes bridge. The tarpon were busting up everywhere chasing and attacking guppies. Whenever a group were busting up on the surface I would try and put a cast there and give it a pop and a long pause, this seems to be the best way to catch tarpon when you cast over the boils they make in the water. Most times however I just cast into the middle of nowhere and gave it small pops and little pauses all the way back which normally ended in a hook up. During the 3 hours down there over 40 tarpon and one Barra were caught, well over 100 hook ups would have happened with most of them tarpon, dropping the hooks or spitting them out at me, and one stage my lip. The gear of choice while fishing for tarpon on this day was nothing flash, just a combo I put together for if im showing others how to lure fish. It consisted of a 1000 size reel, 1-3kg rod and 6 pound braid. Testing this new combo out was fun, and the best part about tarpon fishing is watching the visual display as they climb all over your lures. I took a video of as much as possible but my battery and memory was low so it only goes for a few minutes, Enjoy

Gear For Tarpon:
Rod: Okuma X-factor 1-3kg travel
Reel: Shimano Seinna 1000
Line: 6 pound fused braid, 6 pound mono leader (mono floats which helps surface lures)
Lures: Sebile Splasher 52 in perch, amber fashion and sardine

stay tuned for more fishing adventures
Clayton

1 comment: