Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Ci4 stradic take 2

It was show holiday today so school had no effect on my fishing times. I threw together my gear and headed down to spot y and didn’t get too many fish other than tarpon so I went to Barra jacks and grabbed some pliers and other gear because yesterday was a pain unhooking the tarpon with no pliers. I got back to find some guy holding a small Barra and thought there must be some bigger ones. I scampered down the rock wall to fish the exposed rocks of the low tide and there were big swirls and lots of thrashes every time I pulled the popper past a certain place so I tied on a Crankster and launched that out and snap the drag was screaming as a fought a small blue salmon in to the rocks now kicking myself for losing the lip grips when I flipped my kayak. I put my thumb in its mouth and used my fingers to hold the underneath of its jaw and lifted it up onto the rocks abut it bit my, flipped around and fell into the water but the lure had come out of its mouth thank god.
A couple more casts with a flattshad on accounted for a bream and another tarpon. The Crankster was then back in action and nailed some Barra and then I miscast and the lure ended up to the right hand side far out on a log pile, now I know there a Barra here but the reason I didn’t fish the area was because of the outfit, a small reel that could handle it but the line and rod would struggle keeping them away from the snags. I decided to just lure it anyways and SPLOOSH the Barra scoffed it and jumped out of the water and then dove to the branches of the dead tree, it was now or never so I tried to pull it away from the snags and finally it came. I got it in, it was the day’s second smallest but it was the one that scared me the most. Keep coming back and reading the blog because in a week I will have done more fishing trips and on the way to the beach to lure for flathead bream whiting and other species with a mate and then off to Gladstone a couple of times.

lovely barra pulled from the snags, about 50cm in length



2 comments:

  1. wow you seem pretty decent at catching these suckers on bream lures, why is that happening???

    ReplyDelete
  2. the rattle in the lures are amazing, many people make the mistake that big lure equals big fish. the fish nibble their food until its swallowing size, by having a small high quality very effective lure like this barra are no problem

    ReplyDelete