Friday, April 15, 2011

1st Bundy Fish-Shark Attack


what the plastic should look like
My little brother woke me up at 5:30 to get his Nintendo but it didn’t bother me, I had waited for ages for this first fish, I got up, grabbed my gear, rigged with paternosters the night before and headed out. First was first and I needed bait, I wasn’t going to use my Sebiles, and luckily I didn’t. I threw my castanet out along about 3 beaches and caught nothing but volcanic rock, until I came to this little sand pothole type area and caught a whole net full of little whitebait. I put them on my rod and walked out on a rocky spit, casting the bait as far as I could with my little whippy rods. Next time I will have to get some beach rods. I was there for ages and was just watching the sun slowly rise over the waterline until my rod bent fully over and I hooked up on something that took line fast, my original thought from the body shape in the waves was a flathead but it was my first gummy shark, I tried to get it close enough to lip grip but it cut me off on one of the rocks and my line snapped, after all I was only using 2.7kg mono (all I had packed, wasn’t prepared for sharks) there were a couple more sharks and even one that took out some plastics, which I thought was odd.
I walked back during the day and got a shot of where
 i was fishing because the ones i took at night of
 the sharks in the water and the beach were just black
 I decided to head back to the apartment and get some breakfast with a big smile on my face, only downside is I technically didn’t land any of the 4 I got close enough to lip grip (2 I cut the line because it was dark and I wasn’t really sure how to handle these sharks, after all I need my hands how else will I fish) and I have many straightened 2x forged 4/0’s and many missing sinkers but for rods that aren’t meant for much more than large bream I was doing pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment