Friday, April 15, 2011

Mullet make great bait

It was 4am and I was in the lift heading down to the beach, with me were my light graphite combo and my light river/jetty combo. The second cast of my newly repaired net caught a crazy amount of mullet along with some other bait. With this single cast my bucket got filled right up, so obviously I can repair the net pretty good. I walked to another rocky headland and mullet after mullet kept disappearing but so did my hook, sinkers, leader and sometimes even swivels. The only times I got a hook back was if it was bent straight by whatever was hitting. Nothing even nipped the plastics though. It was bordering on the time I needed to be back for breakfast so I put on the holy grail of baits, a large whiting. Within five seconds the reel was screaming then flung back in my face, I reeled it in and discovered I had half a whiting and only one hook so whatever ate it had big teeth and sheer power compared to my light combo. At the end of all this excitement I was only able to land two small sharks and a shovel nose ray, not even close to being worthwhile compared to my loss of gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment